- Swimming in "Nanny's Pool." Hubby's mom has a pool and lives nearby. This is a no brainer, although we don't take advantage as much as we could. The girls spend every Sunday with their Nanny, so they take more advantage that we parents do. But it's nice to know it's there and to take a dip on sunny Sunday afternoons.
- Putting on the sprinkler. This is an oldie, and a goodie. I remember sprinkler play from when I was a little kid. Sometimes we get a few neighbour kids joining is as well. This makes for a very fun afternoon for the girls.
- Outings to cooler places - like the mall, or the movies, or even just downtown on the waterfront. There is almost always a breeze by the water and it does make for cooler days. Plus the kids love looking at boats and other interesting waterfront things, or just taking a walk.
- For them - Freezies and popsicles. For me - cold Palm Bays or White Wine. Also, lots of hydrating liquids for everyone.
- The number one way we stay cool at home is, of course, air conditioning. It is the hugest blessing you can imagine. Because of our central air I can sleep at night. And we can cool down after some fun outdoor play (in the crazy hot weather).
So there you have it - my top 5 ways to keep my cool in the sweltering hot days of summer. My hope is always that the hot days will bring some good thunderstorms (which will water my gardens) but that has not come to pass as much this year as some. Clouds do appear to be rolling in as I write this. My eternally hopeful soul prays for a storm, but only time will tell.
How do you, faithful readers, keep your cool in the dog days of summer? Share in the comments and we may put your ideas to good use as well! Thanks for reading.